Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Catch Up

Hello again!  I thought now would be a good time to catch you up on what we've been up to in the past week and a half since I last posted.  Tuesday I went in for another doctor's appointment.  I am currently dilated to a 1 and 50% effaced.  The baby is head down.  The doctor recommended that I get a stress test done to make sure the baby is okay.  The reason for this is because there are times when I do not feel the baby moving as much.  So we got the stress test scheduled for Friday morning at 11:00.  So we will see what the news is then.

Other than the doctor's appointment, not a whole lot has been going on, so I thought I'd let you know what I've been doing with Brian.  I took a lot of pictures and there might be a lot of explaining, making this a longer post so please bear with me.  

About three weeks ago I started doing pre-school with Brian here at home.  It only lasts an hour or two but I (usually) have his attention the entire time and he loves it!  There have even been a couple of times that he will ask if he can "do school" around seven o'clock at night!  He's a very quick learner and catches on real fast.  It's fun to see him learn and grow.  So all together I have been quite pleased.

So what do I do?  I have four books that I work from with him.


This first book that I use is basically a teacher's guide that has a daily lesson (one lesson per day for eleven weeks) for your child which includes a mental activity and a physical activity, both of which are pretty basic.  It teaches good basic skills, such as learning how to cut with scissors, how to pick out your clothes for the next day, how to hold a pencil properly, etc.; it also introduces children to their colors and counting, as well as practicing their coordination (i.e., standing on one foot, walking heel-to-toe in a straight line, etc.).  I LOVE THIS BOOK.  It is an excellent pre-school guide and is a lifesaver!

The other three books I use are just cheap learning books that came from the Dollar Tree. (You can find some really good stuff at Dollar Tree!)  Brian always gets extra excited when it's time to work out of these books.




  I really like this last book because it is a dry-erase book.  So I can re-use it again and again!


After we finish working out of each book, I include a fun activity of some sort.  Here are a few things that I have done with him recently:
We made a pasta bracelet.  I asked Brian to count the individual pasta pieces as he strung them onto the string.  (He loves wearing this by the way.)

Practice drawing/tracing lines.
Practice sorting different objects into different categories.  Here he sorted pasta noodles, pennies and crayons.
This is an activity where I drew four different types of weather, then I cut out several different articles of clothing.  What Brian is supposed to do is decide what articles of clothing can be worn in each type of weather and match them (i.e., you wear a coat in the snow so he would  put the picture of the coat next to the picture of snowy weather.).
Brian learned how to cut with scissors.  He had a great time!  He kept asking to  use scissors  for several days afterward.
We made a puzzle out of the cover of a cereal box.  Brian liked it a lot more than I expected!



We played with Play-Do.  Alli didn't quite know what to do with it at first but she caught on.  :) 

A few other things that I have done with them that I wasn't able to get pictures of is:
  • Nature Scavenger Hunt
  • "Adopt a Tree"- Brian learned a little about trees.  I took him outside and let him pick a tree. He drew a picture of the tree, learned how to describe it, did leaf and bark rubbings, and watered it. I also took a picture of him next to the tree.
  • Learn the alphabet in sign language.
  • Make paper airplanes
  • Puzzles



Quick Alli update:  Alli took her first steps tonight!  She walked three or four steps on her own back and forth between Luke and I.  After doing that for a few minutes, she started standing up from the  floor on her own.  Then a few minutes later, she would walk two steps toward Luke, then started walking backwards towards me, before sitting down.  So basically, she started walking forwards, standing up from the floor, and walking backwards all in one night.  It was fun and she was very happy and excited! 
Unfortunately I was not able to get any pictures or videos. :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment